Alliance Library System
Recruitment Strategy and Campaign
Clark Marketing project deliverables completed as sub-contractor to Simantel.
Facing the local impact of the national shortage of librarians, Alliance Library System (ALS) needed a campaign to reach, inform, and recruit as many people as possible to the librarian profession.
The scope of the task was three-fold: 1) change outdated misperceptions about the profession; 2) make the solution build awareness while doubling as a recruitment initiative; and 3) develop metrics and tracking tools to measure the success of the campaign.
Recognizing that librarians provided the best method for delivering the message, from that point it became a matter of equipping them with the tools necessary and most effective to spread the message.
In providing the lead services for the project, Clark Marketing developed:
• 68-page presenter’s guide with many interactive features to engage audiences
• Recruitment brochure directed at interested professionals
• PowerPoint presentations for recruitment efforts and training sessions
• Campaign-customized website and a series of announcements
• Campaign metrics and tracking
• Training session script including room set-up and atmosphere
• Announcement of the campaign’s launch
• Communication to national ALA executives
• Script for use in local cable television programming
After the program’s launch, the above tools received rave reviews from librarians active in the campaign. Potential recruits have embraced the main messages, and candidates to fill the future gap in resources have been identified through the process.
To date, the campaign has reached more than 50,000 people, face-to-face, and shifts in perception to the positive have been identified.
The program won the Master Communicator Award of Excellence from the (joint) central Illinois chapter of the Public Relations Society of America and the Bloomington-Normal/Springfield chapters of the Association for Women in Communications.